Foundation / Corporation
United Arts Council
04/19/19 11:59 PM EST electronic submission
Residency totaling $45,000 to a USA, Canada, or International photographer to work and live for ten months in the Raleigh-Wake County, North Carolina community. The photographer must currently live outside of Wake County. Funding is intended to make photography more accessible to the local community.
During the residency in Raleigh, the Visiting Artist will have the opportunity to:
- Photograph a minimum of 80 events, performances, and festivals in the ten-month period
- Show photographs of Wake County in an exhibition or series of exhibitions
- Provide photo edit for an exhibition or series of exhibitions
- Encourage knowledge of photography skills for all age groups by offering at least four workshops in educational settings like middle or high schools, etc
- Create and lead at least four classes and workshops in the area of specialty, open to the public
- Make public presentations where appropriate
- Suggest future projects to inspire public engagement and support of photography
- Provide other instructional opportunities when available
The Visiting Artist will make a significant contribution to the artistic landscape by capturing and representing the vibrant arts community in Wake County through photography. The artist will interact with the community through photographing events and places in relation to multiple art forms: including but not limited to performances, exhibitions, and festivals. The visiting artist will also conduct workshops, classes, and presentations and exhibitions in the greater community. United Arts will facilitate a collaborative relationship between the visiting artist and the local arts community to complete program activities.
GrantWatch ID#: 185532
The Visiting Artist will receive an annual stipend of $40,000, with a $5,000 stipend toward housing costs.
This artist residency will run from August 1, 2019-May 30, 2020.
The Visiting Artist must be 18 years of age or older, currently live outside Wake County, NC, and hold a BFA (MFA preferred) in his/her discipline. Candidates without a degree who have comparable professional experience may be considered. Candidates should plan to reside in Wake County for the duration of the appointment as Visiting Artist.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Exemplary skills in documentary photography
- Solid body of work
- Comfort working with a range of professional/community/academic arts companies and groups with different spaces and needs
- Some experience with teaching and public presentation
- Ability and willingness to travel to municipalities within Wake County (NC) for scheduled meetings, rehearsals, workshops, teaching engagements, and other public events
- Commitment to photograph events as detailed in a schedule provided by United Arts and discussed with the Visiting Artist
- Deadline April 19, 2019 (11:59PM EST)
- The Visiting Artist will be selected by a panel appointed by United Arts Council. Upon review of all applications, finalist(s) will be contacted for an interview.
- Applicants will be notified by May 15, 2019.
- Announcement of the candidate selected will be made in May 2019
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Application form: https://unitedarts.submittable.com/submit/135899/wake-county-visiting-artist-residency-application-2019
Contact Brandi Neuwirth, email@example.com or at 919-839-1498, ext. 205, for more information.
United Arts Council
410 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 170
Raleigh NC 27603
Phone: (919) 839-1498
Fax: (919) 839-6002
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.