Foundation / Corporation
Fellowships to Germany and Israel scholars and scientists to carry out short-term and long-term research residencies. This exchange program gives preference to younger scientists and researchers, including doctoral candidates and post-docs, and allows them to complete a research residency in the respective other country. Funding is intended to promote research and to strengthen the cultural and scientific exchange between Germany and Israel.
To apply for a Minerva Fellowship, applicants must find a host and a host institution in Germany or Israel. The host Institution shall provide the adequate environment for your proposed research concept and be willing/able to host you.
- High motivation
- Scientific excellence
- Scientifically promising and innovative research topic
- Match with research profile of the host institution.
GrantWatch ID#: 176875
Israeli Fellows in Germany:
- PhD students: €1,377/month
- Post-doc scientist with up to 5 years working experience: €2,100/month
- Post-doc scientist with more than 5 years' working experience: €2,300/month
- Dependency allowance: up to €400/month for an accompanying spouse (if spouse has income less than €451)
- Children's allowance: up to €100/month per child (if children accompany family to Germany for minimum six months)
- Payment in kind: up to €123/month (for books, travel to conferences etc.)
German Fellows in Israel:
- PhD students: €1,498/month
- Post-docs scientists (up to 30 years of age): €1,365/month
- 31 to 34 years: €1,416/month
- 35 to 38 years: €1,467/month
- 39 years and over: €1,519/month
Country allowance (post-docs only):
-Married, spouse does not live in Israel: €1,266/month
-Married, spouse lives in Israel and has no full income or scholarship: €1,489: month
- Dependency allowance (post-docs scientists, for spouse with income/scholarship less than €451): €205/month
- Dependency allowance (PhD students, for spouse with income/scholarship less than €451 ): €400/month
- Children's allowance: up to €51/month per child (if children accompany family to Israel for minimum six months).
- Payment in kind: €102/month (for books, travels to conferences, etc.)
- Doctoral fellowships are granted for a maximum of 24 months. Exceptionally and under special circumstances, there is the possibility of extending them up to 12 months.
- Post-doctoral fellowships are also granted for a maximum of 24 months. Extensions of post-doctoral scholarships are, however, principally not possible.
- The minimum funding period amount to six months in both cases.
Doctoral fellowships: Eligible candidates must have completed a university degree ("Diploma", M.A., M.Sc., or equivalent qualification). B.A. and B.Sc. students are only eligible to apply if accepted to a direct Ph.D. track.
Post-doctoral fellowships: Applications are accepted from candidates
- who have completed their doctorate no more than seven years prior to the beginning of the fellowship
or (in case the PhD is not completed yet)
- who provide proof (e.g. by an informal letter from their supervisor) which should be added to the certificates, that they will have submitted their doctoral thesis by March 1 (for applications submitted for the January deadline) respectively by September 1 (for applications submitted for the June deadline)
Applicants who are presently residing in Israel/Germany but are not nationals of either of the two countries must show a proven record of integration into the Israeli or German scientific community. An affiliation to a research institution in Israel or Germany is required together with a residency of 5 years or longer in either of the two countries. Conversely, if applicants are citizens of one country but have been living in the other for an extended period of time (more than 4 years) a scholarship in the second country cannot be granted since it would not truly support German-Israeli exchange.
Scientists with tenure are not eligible to apply.
A Minerva Fellowship cannot be combined with another full scholarship of full employment. Subsidary employment needs to be approved by the Foundation.
- January 15: Earliest possible start of fellowship in case of an approval: June 1 of the same year, latest possible start: October 31 of the same year.
- 15 June: Earliest possible start of fellowship in case of an approval: December 1 of the same year, latest possible start: April 30 of the next year.
Letters directly sent to Minerva (via email) cannot be accepted. The deadlines for delivery of external letters are around 10 days after the application deadline. If not stated otherwise, all documents should be in English and as one single PDF-document.
An additional major part of the evaluation process is an interview (personal, via Skype or phone) with one a Minerva Fellowship Committee Member or Minerva reviewer. Applicants will be informed via e-mail by the Minerva team around 4 weeks after the application deadline to arrange an appointment with one of the interviewers.
The results are communicated in April/May (regarding the January deadline) and in October/November (regarding the June deadline).
Reapplication is possible and requires that
- The candidate has not received notification that such a reapplication is not permissible;
- Minimum 12 months lie between the first and second application;
- Scientific progress and achievements during this interval are duly reflected in the reapplication.
On submission of the original receipt(s) the Minerva Stiftung can reimburse the costs of one or more German or Hebrew language course(s) up to €400,00 (for spouses the limit is €300,00).
Furthermore the Minerva Stiftung reimburses travel expenses up to the amount of €400,00 maximum per Fellowship year, which are incurred in connection with the participation in scientific conferences, workshops or the like.
Eligibility information: https://www.minerva.mpg.de/22144/eligibility
Application procedure: https://www.minerva.mpg.de/22157/application
Fellowship Rates: https://www.minerva.mpg.de/22181/rates-and-conditions
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: https://lotus2.gwdg.de/mpg/mmmi/minerva_fellowships_2019.nsf/application
Should you have any queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gesellschaft für die Forschung mbH
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.